February 1st 1924 Brayton Wilson Cole was incorporated to “Carry on and conduct a business of manufacturing and fabricating iron and steel”. The incorporators were:
Homer L. Brayton Boston
William J. Wilson Boston
Harold A. Cole. South Weymouth
Back in 20s and 30s much of our manufacturing consisted of egress systems including stairs and fire escapes. At the time labor was much cheaper than material and automation was belts and pulleys. (See photo above)
Through the 1940’s we continued fabrication of miscellaneous metals and steels, and assisting with the war efforts wherever possible. During this time ownership was transferred to Ovidio D. Chiesa of Braintree. Ovidio was an engineer and was in the steel business his entire career. Ovidio presided over the corporation through the 1960’s and 70’s.
One memorable project during this era was the fabrication of yard structures for the Plymouth Nuclear Power station. (See photo below)
In 1979 the company was purchased by long time employees, Michael Roffo of Braintree and James MacElhaney of Milton.
Mike’s expertise included estimating, detailing, and project management while Jim excelled with shop and production management. The two worked together seamlessly for more than 2 decades, living by our company’s simple but effective motto.
- Don’t try to grow too fast; attend to the jobs you already have before making new commitments.
- Do things right or don’t do them at all.
- Double check absolutely everything.
After losing Mike to cancer in 2003 after 48 years of service, his son, David, and Jim continued conducting business together until Jim’s retirement in February, 2009, after more than 60 years of service!
Today David Roffo and his team carry on, innovating, automating, and working to remain competitive.
We still enjoy old company customs like distributing gifts of fruit in appreciation to our customers during the holidays. We could never have existed so long without these forged relationships throughout the years.